Similar in functionality to the Nuna Tavo, the Mamas & Papas Armadillo is a basic, great-looking stroller with somewhat limited functionality. It is newborn compatible with its flat recline and car seat compatibility, has all wheel-suspension for a smooth ride, and looks great, but it does not accommodate a bassinet and is forward facing only. Compared to the Tavo, the Armadillo is generally just smaller, weighing about four pounds less with its smaller wheels, smaller fold, and slightly smaller seat.
Things We Love
- Nice Look: The Armadillo looks great in the “Signature Edition” colors, which include vegan leather accents. It is also nice in Black Jack.
- Flat Recline; Adjustable Footrest: The Armadillo’s seat reclines nearly flat (no bucket seat!) and has an adjustable footrest for optimal napping position. The flat recline makes this seat suitable for newborns.
- Medium Storage: The Armadillo’s storage basket is neither big nor tiny. It will fit a large diaper bag without issue, but will not be able to carry much more.
- Solid Suspension; Smallish Wheels: The Armadillo has 7.5 inch and 6 inch wheels and all wheel suspension. Designed for city streets, the Armadillo can handle a bit of bump, but performs best on paved surfaces.
- Compatible with the Best Car Seats: The Armadillo is compatible with Chicco, Cybex, Graco, Maxi Cosi, and Nuna car seats with adapters sold separately.
Things We Don’t Love As Much
- Medium Weight: Weighing in at 20 pounds, the Armadillo is about 5-10 pounds lighter than full-sized strollers and about 5-7 pounds heavier than travel strollers.
- Simple, Bulky Fold: The Armadillo folds in one simple step; however the resulting fold is quite thick. The length and width are technically small enough to fit into a Mini Cooper’s trunk, but the folded stroller’s hefty depth takes up a lot of space.
- No Bassinet Option: There is no bassinet option with the Armadillo, however because the seat reclines to a flat position, it is suitable for newborns even without the bassinet.
- Forward-Facing Only: The Armadillo is forward-facing only and does not flip to parent-facing mode.
- Not Convertible to a Double Stroller: The Armadillo is a single stroller and does not convert to a double stroller.
- Some Not All Accessories Included: The Armadillo comes with a rain cover and a cup holder. All other accessories, including the car seat adapters are sold separately. The Armadillo does not have a bumper bar.
Mamas and Papas Armadillo Alternatives
- If you want a standard stroller that accepts a bassinet… Mutsy Evo, UPPAbaby Cruz, Mamas and Papas Sola 2, Mamas and Papas Urbo 2, and Mamas and Papas Flip XT 2 are all good options.
- Mamas & Papas Armadillo – $339.99 (list), often available for a discount online